Sunday 25 July 2010

4 months in (part 2)

Things that I miss
Probably the thing that I miss most is seeing my niece grow up. I lived with her since her birth until she was around 15 months. Now she’s 18 months old and picking up new words every day and starting to do all sorts of new things. With other people, I can sort of make myself believe that I’m not missing out too much – they’ll be pretty much the same when I go back and I can have good times with them then. With Abigail, I’m missing a part of her life which will never come back, and that’s sad. At the same time though, I recognise that there are sacrifices I have to make to do this work – and not seeing family and friends so frequently is the biggest – but they’re worth making. I want to do this work, and I think it’s where God wants me as well, and there are also many rewards.
It’s not just a decision that impacts me though – it’s impacts my family and friends as well. Except they didn’t get to ‘choose’ me to do this work, they just have to live with the consequences of being without my company on such a regular basis!

Things that I’m grateful for
I’m so grateful that I get on with Benoit. Before I left the UK, how I was going to get on with a 40 odd year old Burundian male who was both my boss and my one housemate was the thing I was most worried about. However, the fact that we get on as well as we do, not getting on each others nerves (that much!) but actually enjoying each other’s company is a continual blessing. My life would be much poorer here without him.
Massive gratitude also to Malcolm and Elizabeth, the Australian couple who live in Kindu and have done for a few years. We have a regular time of Christian fellowship on Sunday evenings, and frequently see each other during the week as well for a meal, a chat, a game or a film. They’re our main social life in Kindu and we may well have gone insane without them. They’re great people, wise, supportive, positive and encouraging. Elizabeth is also a very good cook, and her provisions of lasagne, stew, thai green curry and quiche have been a definite bright spot in our otherwise humdrum tedium of food.
I’m also glad that I really like Kindu. Almost everyone (particularly the people who have never been) seems to have something negative to say about it – it’s hot, there are a lot of mosquitoes, it’s remote and you may get stuck there for weeks on end… Personally, I love Kindu. It’s beautiful (particularly at sunset by the river), small and quiet enough to walk around, has got pretty good roads and lovely people. Yes, it’s expensive, logistically difficult and the social life is a bit restricted, but it’s got things in its favour too! Anyway, I prefer living in Kindu to Goma or elsewhere, and don’t find it too limiting. So hooray for Kindu!
I’m very grateful for the lovely people who send me things in the post. Letters, cards, food and small presents get me excited for days. Thank you!
I’m glad of the opportunity to learn French – it’s still slow progress but I’m gradually understanding more and the team have been patient with my halting attempts.
I’m grateful for our team in Kindu. Even with language and cultural differences in the way, I genuinely like each and every member. They’ve been willing to work with me despite my youth, my newness and my attempts at French.
I’m also grateful for our international team – we’re a diverse bunch but we all try to support each other. There are obviously some people I know better than others - and one person who I haven’t actually met yet – it will be good to spend more time with them at the team retreat and meeting next week. There are also one or two people who I get on with particularly well, and am glad that they’re there to share more with and to be friends as well as team-mates.
I’m glad and proud to be working for Tearfund. I fully believe in Tearfund’s mission, values and approach, and have seen and experienced how this is evident in the practical, working-things-out-on-the-ground stuff. We’re not perfect, but the motivation, support and effort are there and the work is making a difference in people’s lives. During the period from last November to February all opportunities seemed to have closed on me, I didn’t know what options I should be looking at or what decisions to make, yet here I am now, in Congo, working with Tearfund. There’s nowhere else I’d rather be, and I’m so incredibly thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment