Saturday 27 March 2010

Working Remotely

Apart from induction, I've been able to do some work - mostly looking at project spending - as well as a couple of meetings. Most of the work will have to wait till I actually start in Kindu. Yesterday, I went to an NGO co-ordination meeting. I won't say that I participated in it because I really did - I sat and listened and tried to understand what was going on. Naturally, it was all in French. And French spoken slowly on a one-to-one basis is very different from the full-speed-ahead-spoken-by-natives-in-business-mode French. At least I managed to catch odd words and get the gist of some of the conversations! Am using my evenings to study either French or Kiswahili - I will get fluent even if it takes a while! The staff here are being very good at helping me, teaching me new words and working out what I'm trying to say.
We were sitting talking at this NGO co-ordination meeting and it was getting dark. Suddenly, all the lights went out. No-one turned a hair - obviously a normal occurence in Congo! After a few seconds the generator was switched on and the light returned - conversation continued as normal. It amused me because in the UK if that ever happened it's a major event and, particularly if you're with young people, there are small screams of dismay!!!

I leave for Kindu in a few days, taking the boat up to Goma on Tues and then the plane from Goma to Kindu on Weds. Whilst there are direct flights from Bukavu to Kindu they only leave on Mondays and Fridays. On Wednesday, the flight goes the other way round from Goma - Pangi - Kindu - some other place - Bukavu. I'm looking forward to it - apart from the flight itself the boat ride up Lake Kivu will involve incredible scenery, and it means I'll get to meet our team in Goma and see the town itself.
I find it quite amusing to think that it takes 3 planes, 1 boat and 1x6hour drive, over 5 separate days, to get to Kindu. Not a place you can just turn up at with no planning! I think in all the total travel time is 24 hours (that's time actually moving, not the waiting time at airports etc.), but it all needs to be done in stages. However, I can still have a telephone conversation with people on the other side of the world!

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing, isn't it? World travel doesn't seem quite such a big deal any more now the internet exists... shall be reading your blog Anna and praying for you - we are not far away! :) Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The phone call was brilliant! Betty was thrilled that we could speak to you from the other side of the world as if you were down the road. Hope you don't have too many power cuts in Kindu.
    Amira

    ReplyDelete